Sunday, June 24, 2012

Carrot Cake

A memory I hear about every year is how much my husband loved his moms carrot cake as a child.  So this year for his birthday I was determined to find a "healthier" version of the stuff.  This is what I was able to come up with.
Ingredients:
2 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3/4 C honey
1/2 C molasses
1 C unsweetened applesauce
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 C shredded carrots

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9X13 pan with olive oil.
In a large bowl mix dry ingredients.  Make a well in the center and add the honey, molasses, applesauce, eggs and vanilla.  Mix well.  Stir in shredded carrots.
Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.

He LOVED it! (Even without cream cheese frosting :))  It was such a hit I also made him one for father's day!  He really likes to put a piece in a bowl with a bit of almond milk drizzled over! YUM!  So glad I was able to find a "treat" for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment