Monday, September 17, 2012

Buns & Breadsticks

This is the same recipe I use for our whole wheat pizza crust.  1 batch makes 6 buns.

Ingredients:
1 TBLS yeast
1 TBLS honey
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 C hot water
3 C Whole wheat flour (the amount of flour isn't exact.  You just don't want the dough sticking to your fingers, but like all breads, be careful not to add too much flour.)

Directions:
I put everything into a bowl, and give it a quick mix.  Then I add the flour a bit at a time. I just use a fork to mix it all! :)  Once it looks like it's coming together pretty well, I turn it out onto the counter and kneed it, adding more flour if needed, for about 2 minutes.  I divide it into 6 parts, then roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet.  I spray with olive oil.
Then I let them rise for about 15 minutes. (You can tell I don't make the balls the exact same size.  I just eye ball it.)
Then I bake them at 400 for about 12 minutes.  Let your nose help you know when they are done :)
 They have totally replaced store-bought hamburger buns in our house!  They work great for black bean burgers, so I thought we should try some leftover Italian-style pot roast on them.  HUGE hit!  The kids devoured them! (Although I totally should have taken a picture of Christian's.  He put red onion slices, green pepper slices, and a pile of sprouts on his!  Looked beautiful and tasted just as well!  I had one that way the next day for lunch! :)
Very versatile, easy bread dough.  Quick breadsticks too.  1 batch makes 1 sheet.  Pictured is a doubled batch!
Whether it's breadsticks, buns, or an easy loaf of bread, it all freezes well too.


No comments:

Post a Comment